Embody your practice. Inspire youth. Transform lives.
Peace in Schools is hiring for a part-time Mindfulness Teacher for teens! Work as part of a passionate organization breaking new ground in school mindfulness education.
Peace in Schools is a registered 501(c)(3) organization based in Portland, Oregon. Founded in 2012, Peace in Schools offers mindfulness and meditation programs for young people.
Peace in Schools partners with schools and youth-focused organizations to establish and teach mindfulness classes for teens. These classes help young people develop self-awareness, compassion, and emotional resilience. The in-depth courses, woven into the academic structure of schools, help students alleviate personal and social strife in real-world settings.
The Mindfulness Teacher will co-teach Mindful Studies classes at a Portland area high school during the 2017-18 school year. The class incorporates mindful movement (led by the school’s hired teacher) and the Peace in Schools mindfulness curriculum (led by the Peace in Schools teacher). In this model, co-teachers support each in these clearly defined roles.
The Mindfulness Teacher's duties include:
- Fully prepare for class using Mindful Studies Curriculum
- Actively seek support and guidance from your Lead Teacher
- Participate in PINS trainings and mentorship meetings
- Teach Mindful Studies at your high school per the contracted schedule
- Cultivate authentic relationships with teens and develop trust, safety and connection in the classroom
- Skillfully drawing out teens’ wisdom rather than teaching “at” them
- Develop a strong relationship with your co-teacher
- Work with your Lead Teacher to coordinate subs in case of absence
- Participate in PINS teacher meetings & mentorship phone calls
School Integration (at your High School only)
- Develop strong relations with school administrators, counselors and faculty
- Conduct demo classes (as advised by Lead Teacher) to promote future enrollment
- Work occasional evening programs for teens
- Assist with/lead adult trainings for educators as requested by staff
The foundation of this position is your personal mindfulness practice. Your role is to support others, and yourself, in mindful living. Doing so requires putting your practice at the forefront. We as a team commit to supporting each other in living and working with compassion, love, authenticity and presence.
The Mindfulness Teacher is expected to work well with members of our small team. We seek someone who is motivated, reliable, experienced and who enjoys the challenges of working with youth. We are looking for someone who can teach with heart, professionalism and good humor.
As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in our mission and work. Additionally, the following experiences and skills are preferred:
- A strong commitment to mindfulness and/or contemplative practices; participation in meditation retreats preferred
- Ability to teach from experience (e.g. practicing the tools from the curriculum in your own life)
- Enthusiasm for and experience with the challenges and rewards of working with youth from underserved communities and high-risk environments
- Experience with diverse populations including communities of color
- Preferred experience teaching mindfulness
- Ability to assess individual and group needs within a group setting and to keep youth engaged in a dynamic way (e.g. skillfully responding to the moment)
- Ability to relate authentically with youth
- Calm in response to conflict
- Thrives in a collaborative environment; demonstrates flexibility and willingness
- Commitment to social justice and youth empowerment
- Excellent listening skills
- Ability to teach from a curriculum
- Excellent time management skills
- Bilingual preferred