Mindfulness for Educators
OCTOBER 21-22 2017
AT THE LITTLE CHURCH IN PORTLAND, OREGON
Do you feel busy and overwhelmed? Many educators are incredibly stressed out. Mindfulness is an evidence-based way to support your physical, emotional and mental health. In this introductory two-day course, you'll explore the fundamentals of mindfulness. You'll learn essential skills to reduce stress and enhance your health and well-being. Designed for youth-serving professionals, this course will revive your life and your work with youth.
Participants will learn the fundamentals of mindfulness as we introduce practices that develop compassion, calm, emotional resilience, and self-awareness. Through experiential learning, participants will learn a valuable toolkit for managing stress, improving well-being, and discovering what is possible when we bring a mindful approach to our work with youth.
- Introduction to mindfulness as a personal practice and key pedagogical tool.
- Introduction to relational mindfulness for building connection, trust and openness in youth-focused environments.
- Exposure and instruction in core mindfulness practices, including meditation, to cultivate present-moment awareness, reduce stress, and increase one’s connection to self and others.
- Introduction to the beneficial effects that mindfulness practices have on the health of the brain and body.
- Understanding the importance of a consistent mindfulness practice when bringing mindfulness activities into classroom settings or one’s work with youth.
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS
- Offered in conjunction with Portland State University's Continuing Education in the Graduate School of Education, this course qualifies for 1 PSU graduate/undergraduate credit or 1.2 CEUs.
- Certificate of completion provided.
Please note: This course teaches foundational mindfulness skills for adults to strengthen their own understanding of mindfulness and deepen their work with youth in a variety of settings. However, this course does not certify participants as Peace in Schools instructors or allow participants to teach proprietary material from the Peace in Schools curriculum. Stay tuned for more information on our upcoming teacher certification program.
- $60 Optional College Credit (1 PSU Graduate/Undergrad Credit)
- Lunch for both days included in registration
TIME: 10:00AM-5:00PM OCTOBER 21-22, 2017
LOCATION: THE LITTLE CHURCH, 5138 NE 23RD AVE, PORTLAND, OR
Maggie Steele, MSW, is the lead instructor for this course. Maggie is a certified life coach and mindfulness instructor who holds a BA in Psychology and a Masters in Social Work for children, youth and families. Maggie has served as the mental health coordinator for Inward Bound Mindfulness Education adolescent retreats since 2014, and currently teaches Mindful Studies through Peace in Schools. Maggie is also a training facilitator and practicum supervisor at the Youth Coaching Institute.
Janice Martellucci is a lead mindfulness teacher for Peace in Schools. She also develops curriculum for Peace in Schools’ youth and adult programming, including the for-credit Mindful Studies courses in Portland, Oregon public high schools. Janice has been a practitioner of mindfulness since 2010. She brings seven years experience working with youth in classroom and non-traditional teaching environments. She holds a BA in Environmental Studies from UC Santa Barbara.
Michael is a mindfulness and movement instructor for Peace in Schools. As a permanent foster parent of two teens, he brings passion and loving attention to his work with youth. Michael earned a bachelor’s degree from Oregon State University and has had a dedicated mindfulness practice since 2011.
- If you cancel 14 or more days prior to the event start date, payments made will be refunded in full (less a $50 processing fee).
- If you cancel between 13 days and 1 day prior to the event start date, a nonrefundable credit (less a $50 processing fee and any non-cancelable charges levied by the venue, such as room and board), will be held for one year from the date of issue. The credit can be applied to any Peace in Schools event.
- No credit or refund is available if you cancel on the event start date, if you do not show up, or if you leave a program or event early.
- If Peace in Schools cancels: on rare occasions, due to unforeseen circumstances, we may need to cancel a program. Should this circumstance arise, you will receive a full refund.