Mindfulness for Educators: An Introductory Weekend
MARCH 3-4, 2018
at the little church in portland, Oregon
Do you feel busy and overwhelmed? Many educators are incredibly stressed out. Mindfulness is an evidence-based way to improve your physical, emotional and mental health. In this introductory two-day course, you'll explore the fundamentals of mindfulness. You'll learn essential skills to reduce stress and improve your health and well-being. Designed for educators, this course will revive your life and your work with youth.
Participants will learn the fundamentals of mindfulness with practices that develop compassion, calm, emotional resilience, and self-awareness. In this experiential class, participants will learn how to attend to stressful situations in the moment and discover what is possible when you bring your individual practice into your work with youth.
- Introduction to mindfulness as a personal practice and key pedagogical tool.
- Learning relational mindfulness practices to build connection, trust, and openness in youth-focused environments.
- Exposure and instruction in core mindfulness practices, including meditation, cultivating present-moment awareness, reducing stress, and increasing one’s connection to self.
- Introduction to the beneficial effects that mindfulness practices have on the health of the brain and body.
- Understanding the importance of a consistent mindfulness practice when bringing mindfulness activities into classroom settings or one’s work with youth.
Continuing education credits
- (Pending approval) Offered in conjunction with Portland State University's Continuing Education in the Graduate School of Education (CEED), this course qualifies for 1 PSU graduate/undergraduate credits or 1.2 CEUs.
- Certificate of completion provided.
Please note: This course teaches foundational mindfulness skills for adults to strengthen their own understanding of mindfulness and deepen their work with youth in a variety of settings. However, this course does not certify participants as Peace in Schools instructors or allow participants to teach proprietary material from the Peace in Schools curriculum. Stay tuned for more information on our upcoming teacher certification program.
- $60 Optional College Credit (1 PSU Graduate/Undergrad Credit)
time: 10:00am-5:00pm MARCH 3-4, 2018
LOCAtion: the little church, 5138 NE 23rd Ave, Portland, OR
Maggie Steele, MSW, is the lead instructor for this course. Maggie is the Training Coordinator for Peace in Schools and develops and facilitates our mindfulness-based professional development trainings for educators. She teaches Mindful Studies at Franklin High School and is a certified provider of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction for Teens (MBSR-T). Maggie is a licensed school social worker and holds a BA in Psychology and a Master’s in Social Work for children, youth, and families. She is also a training facilitator and practicum supervisor at the Youth Coaching Institute. She has been a mindfulness practitioner since 2003.
Janice Martellucci is Program Director and lead mindfulness teacher for Peace in Schools. She manages the training and professional development of Peace in Schools teachers and develops curricula for our adult and youth programs. Janice teaches Mindful Studies at Lincoln High School and has led youth programs for over a decade. She has practiced mindfulness since 2010 and holds a BA in Environmental Studies from UC Santa Barbara.
- If you cancel 14 or more days prior to the event start date, payments made will be refunded in full (less a $50 processing fee).
- If you cancel between 13 days and 1 day prior to the event start date, a nonrefundable credit (less a $50 processing fee and any non-cancelable charges levied by the venue, such as room and board), will be held for one year from the date of issue. The credit can be applied to any Peace in Schools event.
- No credit or refund is available if you cancel on the event start date, if you do not show up, or if you leave a program or event early.
- If Peace in Schools cancels: on rare occasions, due to unforeseen circumstances, we may need to cancel a program. Should this circumstance arise, you will receive a full refund.