Mindful Teaching: An Experiential 8-Week Course for Educators
Thursdays APRIL 5-May 24 2018
at the Little Church in Portland, Oregon
You're passionate about educating young people. You want to make a difference. This eight-week mindfulness course for educators is experiential and more comprehensive than our two-day Mindfulness for Educators class. You'll gain practical tools for use in the classroom, as well as skills to benefit your work, your relationships, and your well-being. This course is useful for teachers, school counselors, parents, clinicians, and anyone who regularly works with youth.
Participants will be introduced to fundamental mindfulness tools to revitalize their relationship to work and self. This experiential course explores the benefits of mindfulness for one’s emotional, mental, and physical health. It introduces specific trauma-informed practices that foster emotional resilience, compassion, and connection with youth. It explores the scientific evidence for incorporating these practices in educational settings. Participants will deepen their understanding and application of mindfulness practices, in order to transform their work with youth.
Group Discount: $50 off per person for groups of three or more.
- Learn fundamental mindfulness tools, including meditation, cultivating presence, reducing stress, and fostering connection to oneself and others.
- Apply practical mindfulness exercises in classrooms or therapeutic settings with youth.
- Embody mindfulness to build authentic, inspired connection in your work with youth.
- Acquire a basic understanding of the structure and processes of the brain in relation to fear, anxiety and other strong emotions.
- Understand why trauma-informed practices with youth are critical.
- Understand the beneficial effects that mindfulness practices have on mental and physical health.
- Incorporate mindfulness insights and practices to develop equitable outcomes for students and clients in all their diversity.
- Experience the impact of a mindfulness practice on one’s work life: cultivating presence, calmness, equanimity and the ability to access joy.
Credits and CEUs
- Graduate and Undergraduate Credits are available for this course through Portland State University. Registered participants can earn 2 credits and/or 2 CEUs upon completion.
- Certificate of completion provided.
- Please consult your licensing board if you have questions about whether specific trainings will meet your particular licensure and continuing education needs.
LOCATIONS, TIMES, AND TEACHERS
April 5-May 24, 2018
Teachers: Maggie Steele and Janice Martelluci
Where: The Little Church, 5138 NE 23rd Ave, Portland, OR 97211
Time: 6pm-8:30pm every Thursday
Maggie Steele, MSW, is the lead instructor for this course. Maggie is the Training Coordinator for Peace in Schools and develops and facilitates our mindfulness-based professional development trainings for educators. She teaches Mindful Studies at Franklin High School and is a certified provider of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction for Teens (MBSR-T). Maggie is a licensed school social worker and holds a BA in Psychology and a Master’s in Social Work for children, youth, and families. She is also a training facilitator and practicum supervisor at the Youth Coaching Institute. She has been a mindfulness practitioner since 2003.
Janice Martellucci is Program Director and lead mindfulness teacher for Peace in Schools. She manages the training and professional development of Peace in Schools teachers and develops curricula for our adult and youth programs. Janice teaches Mindful Studies at Lincoln High School and has led youth programs for over a decade. She has practiced mindfulness since 2010 and holds a BA in Environmental Studies from UC Santa Barbara.
- If you cancel 14 or more days prior to the event start date, payments made will be refunded in full (less a $25 processing fee).
- If you cancel between 13 days and 1 day prior to the event start date, a nonrefundable credit (less a $25 processing fee and any non-cancelable charges levied by the venue, such as room and board), will be held for one year from the date of issue. The credit can be applied to any Peace in Schools event.
- No credit or refund is available if you cancel on the event start date, if you do not show up, or if you leave a program or event early.
- If Peace in Schools cancels: on rare occasions, due to unforeseen circumstances, we may need to cancel a program. Should this circumstance arise, you will receive a full refund.